The Ottonian building burnt down in 1174, and the following Roman-Gothic building was adapted to the Baroque style in 1745-55. Both towers are the symbol of Brixen. Together with the surrounding buildings, including the Domkreuzgang cloister, the Johanneskapelle chapel, and the Frauenkirche church, it’s an integral part of Brixen’s ‘Cathedral neighbourhood’.
The domicile of the Bishop was Brixen until 1964, and it was then moved to Bozen. However, the chair and the chapter of the cathedral can still be found in Brixen, which makes the Brixen Cathedral the most important church of the diocese.